Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Learning from a Snow Leopard - Part 1

There are places on this planet where you just wouldn't hear the honking, nagging, chattering and clunking that is so much a part and parcel of our lives. There are no people, no computers or mobile phones, no electric poles, no houses or buildings and no roads. There is snow, some amazing views of the mountain, uncomfortably cold wind, invigorating silence and not so easily apparent but very much existing... wild life! This is nature, untouched by its intelligent manifestations.

This is a random pic of Dodital from the Interent. I think I have one with me in it, but will need to fish for it in the dusty unvisited undergrounds of my home.
I had a first hand experience when I made a couple of treks into the Himalayas with the college Adventure Club. Every college trip has its stories. The most famous one from our trek to Dodi Taal in 2003 was about a Snow Leopard. I didn't see one, no one did. But there were signs all around and we were scared.

Ten years and  twenty two kilos down the line, being married and with a kid... my best shot at adventure off late has been watching a Snow Leopard on You Tube. It wasn't thrilling, but then I learned something.

A snow leopard is a stunning wild animal with some breath taking skills. She is fast and ferocious, like every other leopard is. And she tops it up with her ability to maneuver through the precarious mountain terrains. She can climb very steep, almost straight, slopes and descend down them with equal poise. She can even take a vertical U turn on these slopes.

I was watching this snow leopard in a documentary film, amazed at her awesomeness when something irritated the awesomeness like a spec of dust in the eye.