Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Bawa'isms



Bawa is perhaps the most prolific, quick-witted, spontaneous, brilliant and wisest of the teachers that have walked on this planet. I have been lucky enough to be able to spend some time with him, and to be on at least all the courses that he has taught in Pune, in the last 5 or 6 years. His answers have the audience in splits, and leave them with a deep sense of realization at the same time.

Here are a few of his answers and quotes that I can think of immediately... I will keep adding more as and when I remember them. The quotes are as I remember them, and may not be verbatim. If you can think of more, please do  add them in the comments, and I will include them in the post. 

Question: What is the difference between happiness and peace ? 
Bawa: If you are out shopping and you are desperate to pee, and then after a lot of searching you see a toilet door - that is happiness. After you step inside and finish your business - that is peace! 

Question: Are you against marriage ?
Bawa: I am only against my marriage!

Bawa (on why he chose to be an Art of Living teacher): I thought it was better to teach people meditation and make them happy rather than teach them mathematics and make them miserable! (Bawa is a M.Sc in Mathematics from IIT Mumbai)

Question(at the Visa office) : Tell me in one line what the Art of Living course is all about ?
Bawa: The Art of Living course helps people feel on Monday mornings what they usually feel on Friday evenings! (10 years US visa granted, on a 6 months application!)

Question: How do you know if the life partner you have chosen for yourself is the right one ?
Bawa: If that question doesn't come, then you have found your partner!

Question : How do you get up early in the morning ?
Bawa: I generally open my eyes!


Bawa (starting a DSN course) : Do you know what is the mantra to complete your DSN successfully  ?
Participants: No...
Bawa: The mantra is 'Yes Bawa'.


Question : Are there any problems for youth on the path of spirituality ? If so, how many ?
Bawa: Parents, and usually two!

Question (from a boy) : Is it okay if I sleep with a girl ?
Bawa: Yes, if you sleep its alright. If you are awake then there is a problem...

(contributed by Manjunath :))